Peer-Reviewed or Academic Journal Articles
- Kristen Betts, David Urias, and Keith Betts (2009) Higher education and shifting U.S. demographics: Need for Visible Administrative Career Paths, Professional Development, Succession Planning & Commitment to Diversity, Academic Leadership Journal. Vol. 7, Iss 2. Art. 6.
- Deborah Dezure, Allen Shaw, Julie Rojewski. (2014) Cultivating the Next Generation of Faculty Leaders, Change the Magazine of Higher Learning, Vol. 46, No. 1 pp. 6-12.
- Francesca Dominici, Linda P. Fried and Scott L. Zeger (2009) So Few Women Leaders, Academe Vol. 95, No. 4, pp. 25-27.
- Walter H. Gmelch, Drew Roberts, Kelly Ward, and Sally Hirsch. A Retrospective View of Department Chairs: Lessons Learned. (2017) The Department Chair, Vol. 28. No 1. pp. 1-4.
- Eunice Ellen Hornsby, Hazel A. Morrow-Jones, Deborah A. Ballam (2012) Leadership Development for Faculty Women at The Ohio State University: The President and Provost’s Leadership Institute. Advances in Developing Human Resources, Vol. 14, No. 1 pp. 96–112.
- Alexandra Jaffe (2017) Differentiated eliteness: socialization for academic leadership. Social Semiotics, Vol. 27, No. 3 pp. 370–381
- Adisorn Juntrasook (2014) ‘You do not have to be the boss to be a leader’: contested meanings of leadership in higher education. Higher Education Research & Development, Vol. 33, No.1 pp. 19-31.
- Adrianna Kezar, Jaime Lester (2009) Supporting Faculty Grassroots Leadership. Research in Higher Education, Vol. 50, No. 7 pp. 715-740.
- Adrianna Kezar, Jaime Lester, Rozana Carducci, Tricia Bertram Gallant, Melissa Contreras McGavin (2007) Where Are the Faculty Leaders?: Strategies and Advice for Reversing Current Trends. Liberal Education, Vol. 93, No. 4 pp. 14-21.
- Raymond Lucas, Ellen F. Goldman, Andrea R. Scott, and Valerie Dandar (2017) Leadership Development Programs at Academic Health Centers: Results of a National Survey, Academic Medicine, In press.
- Elizabeth Niehaus, KerryAnn O’Meara (2015) Invisible but Essential: The Role of Professional Networks in Promoting Faculty Agency in Career Advancement. Innovative Higher Education April 2015, Vo. 40, No. 2 pp. 159–171.
- Pamela Klauer Triolo, Bunny J. Pozehl, Tamera L. Mahaffey (1997) Development of leadership within the university and beyond: Challenges to faculty and their development. Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 3 pp. 149–153.
Caroline Sotello Viernes Turner, Juan Carlos González, J. Luke Wood (2008) Faculty of color in academe: What 20 years of literature tells us. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, 1(3), 139-168.
Essays, Media Reports, Discussions of Research
- Dennis M. Barden and Janel Curry (2013) Faculty members can lead, but will they?, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Collene Flaherty. (2016) Forgotten Chairs, Inside Higher Ed, Dec. 1, 2016.
- David H. Kiel (2015) Creating a Faculty Leadership Development Program, Academic Impressions
- Leo M. Lambert (2015) A ‘Grow Your Own’ Strategy to Develop Administrative Leadership, Trusteeship Magazine, Association of Governing Boards of Colleges and Universities
- Selingo, J. (2006). Colleges must plan better to attract and keep key personnel, panel speakers say. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Audrey Williams June (2017) What 4 Colleges Are Doing to Groom New Leaders, The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Audrey Williams June (2017) How to Cultivate Faculty Leaders. The Chronicle of Higher Education Vol. 63 Is. 20.
References or links to non-University entities do not represent endorsement by the Regents of the University of California