Module Development Resources
UC Fundamentals Section
University Administrative Structure
- Office of the President
- About UCOP
- Academic Affairs
- UC National Laboratories
- Academic Senate
- Systemwide Budget Manual
An Introduction to the Academic Senate of the University of California:
- UC Board of Regents Standing Order 105: Organization of the Academic Senate: Standing Order of the Regents 105.1
- Bylaws of the Academic Senate: Bylaws
- Regulations of the Academic Senate: Regulations
- About the Academic Senate
Recruitment and Retention of Faculty
- Academic hiring manuals for UC Berkeley, UC Los Angeles, the University of Minnesota, and the University of Michigan.
- UC Academic Personnel Manual
- UCOP list of ADVANCE websites.
- University of Colorado’s Strategies for Effecting Gender Equity and Institutional Change
Academic Personnel: Merits and Promotion in Academic Series
- University of California Academic Personnel Manual (APM) Table of Contents
- University of California Academic Personnel Manual (APM) 220 - Appointment and Promotion
Managing Late Career and Retirement Issues Among Faculty
Interpersonal Skills Section
- Collaborative negotiation, conflict resolution
- Communication Competencies
- Communicating-Connecting to Your People, e-course: UC Learning Center
- Conflict resolution, negotiation, cultural intelligence, emotional intelligence, public speaking
Dispute resolution and mutual Interest negotiation
- Getting to Yes: How to Negotiate without Giving in, by Roger Fisher, William Ury and Bruce Patton, Penguin Books, 1991
- Emotional Intelligence, Why it Can Matter More than IQ, by Daniel Goleman, Bantam Books, 1995
- Effective interactions, communication across all human differences, engaging with intercultural conflict
- Interpersonal Communication, Navigating Relationships in a Changing World, by Carrie C. Hutchinson, Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions, 2017
- Interpersonal Communication: Relating to Others, by Steven Beebe, Susan Beebe and Mark Redmond, Pearson, 2017.
- Resolving Conflicts at Work: Ten Strategies for Everyone on the Job, by Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith, Wiley, 2011
- “The Art of Giving and Receiving Criticism.” Looking Out/Looking In, by Ronald B. Adler and Russell F. Proctor II, Cengage Learning, 2013
- Understanding and being understood, dealing with difficult people
- Negotiating at Work: Turn Small Wins into Big Gains, by Deborah M. Kolb with Jessica L. Porter, Jossey-Bass, 2015
Running Effective Meetings
- How to Run a Meeting, by Antony Jay, Harvard Business Review, 1976.
- 14 Tips for Leading a More Effective Meeting, by Forbes Coaches Council, Forbes, 2016.
Budget and Finance:
- UCOP Office of the Chief Financial Officer
- UCOP Budget Analysis and Planning Department
- Systemwide Budget Manual (PDF)
- UCSD Department Chair’s Toolkit: Administration, Business, and Finance
- Budgets in Higher Education -- The Keys to Successful Financial Management
Handling Difficult Conversations/Managing the Unexpected
- The College Administrator’s Survival Guide, by C.K. Gusalus. Harvard University Press, 2006.
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When the Stakes are High, by Kerry Patterson, et. al., McGraw-Hill Education, 2011
Campus/Department Climate Issues and Equity and Inclusion
- Inviting Everyone In, by Victoria Plout, Scientific American, 2014.
- Why Diversity Programs Fail, by Dobbin and Kalev, Harvard Business Review, 2016.
- Enacting Diverse Learning Environments: Improving the Climate for Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Higher Education, by Hurtado et al., ERIC Digest, 1999.
- Differing Perceptions: How Students of Color and White Students Perceive Campus Climate for Underrepresented Groups, by Rankin and Reason, Journal of College Student Development, 2005.
Implicit Bias and Search Committees:
Being the “Public Face” of a Department/School/College/Unit: Media and Public Affairs:
- Media Relations, CASE (Council for Advancement and Support of Education)
- Media training, UC Berkeley
- Media resources, UCSF
- Storytelling for Leadership, Berkeley Executive Coaching Institute
Additional Faculty Leadership Development Resources
- Academic Impressions Academic Impressions produces conferences, webcasts, publications, and membership-based products for faculty leadership development at colleges and universities.
- ADVANCE Portal A site administered by the University of Vermont that aims to link the activities of National Science Foundation (NSF) ADVANCE grant recipients. The goal of the ADVANCE program is to develop systemic approaches to increase the representation and advancement of women in academic science and engineering careers, thereby contributing to the development of a more diverse science and engineering workforce.
- Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges A membership organization comprised of 1,300 boards representing 1,900 colleges, universities, and institutionally related foundations
- Change the Magazine of Higher Learning is a magazine dealing with contemporary issues in higher education. It is intended to stimulate and inform reflective practitioners in colleges, universities, foundations, government, and elsewhere.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education is a source of news, information, and jobs for college and university faculty members and administrators.
- The Department Chair: Written for academic administrators, this award-winning periodical features in-depth articles that deliver sound insight and proven strategies essential for successfully leading an academic department.
- Faculty Focus: Through its free e-newsletter and dedicated website, Faculty Focus publishes articles on effective teaching strategies for the college classroom.
- UC Academic Personnel Manual
- (Dissertation) Drange, Susan Maria, The Dilemma of Leadership in Research Universities, UC eScholarship, UCLA (2015)
- Laursen, S. L., & Austin, A. E. (2014). Strategic Intervention Brief #1: Faculty Professional Development Programs. In Laursen, S. L., & Austin, A. E., StratEGIC Toolkit: Strategies for Effecting Gender Equity and Institutional Change. Boulder, CO, and East Lansing, MI. www.strategictoolkit.org.
References or links to non-University entities do not represent endorsement by the Regents of the University of California